Thursday, April 7, 2011

Fire Brigade!

I was on Work Experience in the Dublin Fire Brigade Training Centre last week. It wasn't that good because we didn't get to do much. They weren't training in any new recruits that week so I don't think they had anything planned for us to do. There were three other Ty's, Heather, Andy and Amy. I got lost on my way there the first day because on the bus timetable it said the bus was leaving from Westmoreland St. but then when I went there, not a no.128 bus top in sight! I was waling around town for ages, I walked up O' Connell St. then back over O'Connel Bridge and it was just stressfull. Then, the 128 appeared what seemed to be out of nowhere so I ran after it and found the bus stop. I left Celbride really early though so I wasn't late. We got to go into a shed type of place where rooms are set out and it's pitch black, it's there to train firemen for going into a house or a building to rescue people.. Myself, Andy and Heather said we'd do it and it was so much fun, we had to find a dummie and carry it back out. For the rest of the week we sat in on first aid lectures and the were interesting at start but ten they got a bit boring because it was the same one three days in a row. Every fireperson has to be a paramedic, which I didn't know and I found that quite interesting. We got free dinner everyday and the food was so beautiful! The last day we got to go in a fire engine and get water from a hydrant to spray through the hose, that was good fun too. Paul, our supervisor, brought us to his station and it was deadly. We say everything a fireman does everyday and how the station works. Overall it was a good placement but I don't know if I'd like to be a firewoman, maybe a paramedic though!

No comments:

Post a Comment